What is Temazepam?
Temazepam is a psychoactive drug that belongs to a group of medicines known as hypnotics and benzodiazepines. In addition to calming your brain, it also has properties such as relaxing skeletal muscles, antianxiety and anticonvulsant.
How does it Work?
Like the other sedative and hypnotic medicines,Restoril works by increasing the activity of GABA (gamma- amino butyric acid) which is a neurotransmitter responsible for the inhibition of some of the activities of the brain. This drug suppresses some of the areas of the Brain to reduce anxiety and help the individual sleep better.
What are the Possible Side Effects of Temazepam 20mg?
Temazepam is one of the most frequently and commonly prescribed sleeping pill because of its effectiveness. However, it has many different side effects. It is good to be aware of its possible side effects so that you can contact a doctor and have your dosage altered or medicine changed. The undesirable effects Temazepam can cause include:
Common and mild side effects
- Drowsiness and daytime drowsiness.
- Dizziness (to reduce the effects of dizziness get up slowly when getting up from a lying or sitting position).
- Confusion and ataxia
- A headache
- dry mouth
- chest pain
- palpitations (disturbed heart rate)
- fatigue and tiredness
- changes in taste
- muscle pain and weakness
- double vision
- unclear speech
These mild symptoms usually go away within a few weeks and continued use of the drug if they continue to persist after a few weeks contact your doctor.
Less common and severe side effects
- Allergic reactions. Symptoms can include:
- swelling of the tongue or face
- rash on the skin
- Symptoms of depression including:
- Suicidal thoughts or thoughts of hurting yourself physically
- loss of pleasure in activities you otherwise enjoy
- feelings of guilt or worthlessness
- lack of energy
- trouble focusing and thinking
- changes in weight (loss or gain)
- Abnormal behavior. Symptoms can include:
- Going out more than before
- thinking things are fake and unreal
- Changes in libido
- Aggression and violence
- Doing activities such as eating and making food, talking to someone on the phone, and driving while you’re asleep but not having no memory of the event.
- Having trouble breathing. Symptoms include:
- Disturbed breathing patterns (fast or slow breathing, shallow breathing).
- Decreased oxygen in your blood
- Memory loss
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not present)
- Burning sensation in the eyes
- Nystagmus (involuntary eye movement)
- Hyperhidrosis (abnormal amount of sweating)
- gastrointestinal disturbances
Important information about Temazepam
Do not use if you are pregnant. This medicine can cause withdrawal symptoms in the baby and congenital disabilities. It can prove to be fatal.
Misuse of Temazepam can lead to addiction and overdose which can cause death.